Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Jesus is God!

John 20:19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you."

I'm not sure how many times I have read this verse over the years, but this is the first time I "seen" this:

The disciples were afraid and what is the first thing Jesus wants for them? PEACE. When we have the peace Jesus offers, the peace of knowing you belong to Him, there is no fear. You are perfectly loved by your Lord and Savior and as His Word says, perfect love casts out fear.

1John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.


John 20:25 The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord." So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."

This reminds me so much of those that can ask you a million questions about your faith, yet no matter how well you may answer them, they will not believe. Thomas doesn't say, "I don't know....I'd kind of like to see for myslef." He is not wishy washy at all, he flat out says, "I will not beleive." Some people (like our buddy Ron) are given a dramatic sign that they may believe. Others are not. Only the Lord knows why; maybe it is the condition of their heart when they ask, and although skeptical, their heart is right....I don't know. But we know that in this case Thomas is blessed with his request for a "sign". But Jesus also indicates a special blessing on us who have not been given a "dramatic" sign, yet still believe:

John 20:27-29 Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing."
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
29 Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."


1Peter 1:8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,


Incidentally, Jesus waits 8 days to show Himself to Thomas. You have to think that Thomas wanted to see Jesus "right now"; but as shown many times in Scripture, God's time is not our time.

Another thing that we should notice here is Thomas' response: "My Lord and My God". There are plenty of false religions and false teaching out there that will make many claims about Jesus, but they do not want to call Him God. There is an abundance of verses pointing to the diety of Jesus and this one is as right to the point as you can get. Thomas calls Him, his God and Jesus does not correct him.

No comments:

Post a Comment