Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Run the Race

My 7 year old son asked me tonight if there is any verses in the Bible about believing in yourself. I told him we are to believe in Jesus and put our hope and trust in Him. I told him we are also called to run the race set before us, and seek to do His will:

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

We need to be self-controled in all we do...our language, our anger, our lust, our thoughts, our actions, etc. When you read God's Word there is an amazing amount of instruction on self control. I'd like to encourage you to go to the NIV website and do a word search of self-control and read all the verses. You can find an easy link to the NIV from the resource page at TheOneBridge.com

No comments:

Post a Comment